Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Update



Sunday was the Russian Winter Festival in Trafalgar Square. Giant men with mustaches, lots of cigarettes and vodka...oh and nesting dolls. That's a festivus if I don't say so myself.



In the last few days I've found out where I'm interviewing:
Huge, it's a design firm, and so far it seems pretty sweet. I talk to the art director on Thursday. From what I've gathered, it sounds like the company just expanded, and it's in a really cool area.

If everything goes as planned, I'll take the District Line west from Earl's Court to the very end. To get an idea just how far outside of the "city" it is, I did a trial run: (click the map to see the graphic)



The sky was clear and sunny when I started out, and halfway there (20ish minutes), things began to look less promising as black skies loomed in the west. When I got off the train it was windy, rainy and terribly cold. There is, however, a fabulous shoe store directly outside of the stop.

Storms and flood warnings were implemented all over England. Today my umbrella opened itself--and it doesn't even make sense to use it when the rain comes from every which way. Waterproof shoes...and socks would really help. It isn't so bad, though. Rain in London is supremely better than rain in Missouri. The Thames looked romantic and stormy today, making it the perfect afternoon to brood. And what better place to ponder 900 years of English history than Westminster, which was incredible. Elizabeth I is buried there with her sister, Mary Tudor, along with other big Brits, like Chaucer and you know, kings. Yikes! There are also terribly quaint and wonderful gardens and walks...and England's oldest door. I think the date on that little guy was 1050.

I also started class on Monday. We went through many of the papers that circulate throughout the city. While I am only starting to become aware of the G. Brown upset, I certainly know more about Britney Spears (the "one woman disaster zone," as the Independent so eloquently wrote) than I did back in the States. Thanks!

No comments: